Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Boot Camp Co Galway .

It's the last full day here in Galway and as expected ,there are no tears in my eyes.
The truth is you should never return to a place you have fond yet distant memories of .
Salthill and Galway are ,for me ,ruined . Blackpool is the still the best comparison .The town planners have made a mess here. Tacky sums it up. This is merely Miss Vixen's opinion for what it's worth . You may think differently . In which case , please let me know .......with reasons why .
Two other things are worthy of note and these are :-
1)This place lacks the friendliness found elsewhere .Eye contact and greetings being the exception rather than the rule. This observation is not just mine . Irish people I have met feel much the same .
2) Along the promenade and in the streets at all hours one observes the public almost 'marching' with a gait which is somewhat a cross between Nordic walking and Olympic walking . I have even noted that those pushing wheelchairs do so in the same manner .
Strolling is just not seen here . Movement is intense, earnest and appears altogether grim.
In keeping with the concrete jungle which has removed all traces of charm for me .
The lyrics of the song 'Galway Bay 'have run through my head. Believe me reader , when I next "Go across the sea to Ireland" ,it will not be to this place .
As usual I have met some lovely indíviduals but they too are all set for leaving .
It comes as no surprise .

No comments: