Thursday, July 26, 2007

Poland .. Just € 18 day return .







No, I didn't travel by a certain Irish Airline but by the super efficient Deutsches Bahn . Cost(rtn ) €13 , my bike €5 .
In Germany the majority of stations ( this includes S Bahn and U Bahn ) have lifts to platforms and the trains are built to take bikes,wheelchairs,prams etc . All of which makes for problem free travel.
In just over an hour of leaving Berlin I was in Frankfurt an der Oder . This old and famous university city it is a mix of modern and old architecture .Located on the River Oder it is part of the German - Polish border. One crosses the lovely bridge to Slubice ( a very typical Polish town ) Hardly any German or English is spoken there but smiles and body language suffice .The lady I'm pictured with was a great help and her German impressive .With a bike it's easy to explore . On my return to the German side I spotted a super lingerie shop .(Yes a purchase was made. )Then coffee , more exploration and back to the station for a smooth ride home .

PS)Should you wish to try this,take your passport . Border controls still apply .

No comments: