Friday, December 15, 2006

Dachau Concentration Camp



The small town of Dachau is attractive and easily reached.
In brilliant sunshine I made my way there . As the S Bahn sped along ,my thoughts went to those who had gone before . For them no sunshine ,no choice.
On leaving the station a bus number 246 took me to the main entrance of what is a testimony to the horrors man is prepared to heap on man . Dachau Concentration Camp.
A walk around this memorial and museum is humbling ,horrific and chilling . It is a visit all should try to make. All languages are catered for and the book shop is well stocked. There is excellent use of art work done by survívors. Examples of which I will add on my return to Berlin . These works testify to the fact that no amount of brutality can kill the creative talents .
In the adminístration offices I was allowed to look at folders of such drawings and then several copies were given to me .Such work was mainly done after liberation and served to tell the facts .
As I was leaving the building I commented on some more amazing art lining the main corridor .These are the work of a Jewish man now in his 80's who still participates in the regular seminars for youth . He has turned his horror into work with humanity ...
A real hero . Yes I consider that Dachau had countless heroes . They stood against tyranny knowing what that meant .
Try to visit http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/
There is a facility for English. Donate a short amount of your life ( say 15 minutes ) to those who gave their lives for standing against evil.
Then each time you read or hear about 'the prisons at Guantanamo' recall this web site .
Being prepared to say 'no' to dentention centres where there is no representation or accountability is vital ..

No comments: