Sunday, April 30, 2006

What's in a name ?

Well actually quite a lot ........
For example ,the Oxford dictionary defines the word "vixen " as meaning a female fox , or a spiteful and quarrelsome woman .
Hmmm clearly some disenchanted male linguist had a say in that.
My choice of this name was for several reasons :
a) I love fur . To wear it is one of life's greatest feminine pleasures .
b) I am inclined to be wild and very much my own person .
c) It is a remarkable man who can catch me .
d) Like the fox I am quick thinking
e) Appearance ...well ...Under the dictionary entry - fox :- N American slang .. An attractive woman and as for foxy ....Well here the linguist was clearly experienced in attractive vixens for we read :- (of a woman ) sexually attractive.

So you see just a few examples as to why I am very much miss_vixen.
Yet it never ceases to amaze me that "some" make the equation that my blog should be a record of lust filled fantasies .
Ooooh dear no . I leave such for those who are all too often fakes.
Just as fake fur can never be compared to the real thing . So it is with tawdry writing .It is there merely to provide a quick fix ........
I am the real thing !


But to continue with the theme of "what's in a name "
I find street names can be extremely provocative in as much as they stir the imagination. Oddly enough some of the most fascinating are to be found within the cities and backstreets .
Years ago ,whilst in UK I saw the following :- ADVENTURE PLACE.
Oh how I wanted to have that street sign ! What is more there were two . One ,the original and another ,modern plate . My pleading that one would never be missed fell upon deaf ears . Yet I never forgot that sign and what it conjured up for me in my imagination .
Later I wrote the following . Adventure Place had become ,for me,a code.


AFTER THE PHONE CALL:

At midnight I could hear your voice

As it traveled here through space

At one o'clock I played "our game "

Down in "Adventure Place"

At two o'clock I lay within -

Your ever loving arms ,

And each of us delighted in -

The others magic charms



Helena Mikas 1986



I still love "Adventure Place ". Playing games remains a favourite pastime and what lovelier spot is there ?
You never know maybe some one will bring me one of those street signs.
One great way to catch a truly foxy lady .............

No comments: