Sunday, April 16, 2006

Airports


















Whilst in hospital last week there was time to read , time to think , time to write .. yes there was lots of time .
I have to admit I was not as constructive as I could have been . My mind concentrated rather too much on what should have been. An example being my planned trip to Istanbul had been cancelled . It remains therefore a city yet to be visited.
For me the actual journey plus airports involved is as much a part of the fun as any destination .
To see airports throughout the world is fascinating . They are architectural wonders or nightmares depending on your point of view .
Yet diverse as they are outwardly, they are linked by common denominators which serve to assist and ensure the smooth running of these now essential transport centres .
They are happy places and ideal for people watching .
Reader , if you have time to spare and want to pass a few hours with little money then off to the Airport . For the price of a coffee you can sit and watch the world arrive and depart .
You may note stress but truly more joy.
The shops are fun and then there are the planes . I never fail to get a buzz looking at a plane landing or taking off. It has me wondering who is on board . From where are they coming or their destination .
There is a spot in Berlin where flights into TXL airport seem almost tangible as ,like magic,they drop from way on high ,ready to land . Many is the time a car has come close to knocking me down as I've stopped to look up , smile and yes , wave !!
Childish , maybe . Fun always .
So here goes with my hospital musings regarding airports . Here are some of the common denominators .See if you can add others .

A .......arrivals /announcements
I .......immigration /information
R ......runways/ romance
P ...... passengers /pilots
O ......open 24/7
R .......rendezvous
T .......tickets /taxis
S .......security/stewardess

April 16th 2006

No comments: