Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Andromeda .....



As you are probably aware I do enjoy Greek mythology . It presents us with tales of great lovers and the women are anything but docile !
Perhaps my favourite character is Andromeda.
Her story is well known . To placate the sea monster Poseidon , she was chained to the rocks as a sacrifice .However ,one wonderful man with winged feet , name of Perseus, swept down from the skies bearing the head of the Gorgon Medusa . This he used to turn the monster to stone .
Andromeda was free and yes , she and Perseus became an item !
This, for me ,is the most impressive picture of Andromeda. Most depict her upside down ,like her constellation .Yet here she stands upright her hair streaming towards the sea
She looks wonderful with a body that is light years away from the grotesque stick insect types we find today in the media . In particular ,note her legs. For sure a lady made to wear boots I would say .
The Greeks believed that when Andromeda , Perseus and her mother Cassopeia died they were placed as constellations in the night sky .
I for one ,know that if I were to need a 'handle ' Andromeda is a name I would choose .....


No comments: